Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Looping in alteryx

Neha
7 - Meteor

Hello All,

I am a new alteryx user and need a little guidance here.

The issue I am facing is how can i use loops in alteryx - carrying out specific workflow until a condition is meeting.

example I am working with is :

Input
ID numberIssue textLocation textArea no
123knee painwristAA1
123knee painleg AB1
123knee painkneeAC2
456broken ribribCD3
456broken ribshoulderGH2
789Sprained ankleankleNY1
789Sprained anklewristML3
789Sprained anklebackKO2
789Sprained ankleshoulderJH3
Output
ID numberArea no
123AC2
456CD3
789NY1

The thought process which I had was for same ID numbers- run a fuzzy match for fields 'Issue text' and 'Location text'. For the fields which are matching, return the corresponding area number against the ID number.eg: for ID 123 only, fuzzy match 'knee pain' with 'wrist, knee, leg' and when matched with knee, return value AC2. This is how i would have coded in python with loops, variables and functions. Any idea on how I can do this with alteryx? The match needs to be inside ID as area changes with different combinations.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Neha 

Maybe a simple filter like this would work? Unless your actual data is messier:

contains([Issue text],[Location text])

Luke_C_0-1648817547527.png

Neha
7 - Meteor

Hello Luke,

Thanks for your reply. My actual data is a little complicated than the sample data I posted here. Hence I thought of going with Fuzzy match instead of contains. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Neha ,

I am assuming that the "fuzzy" requires a lexicon of terms related to technical and non-technical terms.  I've got a pain in my belly relates to gastro-intestinal discomfort.  Given this nickname, you're going to need to first relate data into a nickname table.  If you really want to use the fuzzy match tool, then you can look to:

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\FuzzyMatch\Nicknames\Common Nicknames.yxdb

GroupName|Name
Aaron|Erin
Aaron|Ron
Aaron|Ronnie

You would create the association table  and store it in the same path.

Without the fuzzy match tool, you can perform the same type of lookups with either JOIN or FIND REPLACE options.  But essentially, you'll need the "complex" table.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Neha
7 - Meteor

Thank you @MarqueeCrew 

Tried a variation of the solution you shared and it worked. The accuracy is at a lower end as of now but I think it will improve with time as we keep on adding entries to association table

Labels