Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Looping in Alteryx

TDevrie6
5 - Atom

Hi community,

In Alteryx I tried to rebuild a logic that you can find attached in my Excel file under the tab scenario.Mainly it needs to recalculate different variables over a certain time horizon. Variables first need to be calculated for T1 (time 1) and are used as an input for T2 and so on. I was wanting to work in Alteryx with a multifield formula, but it seems not possible to calculate multiple variables with the same tool. However then I chose for the most easy (but cumbersome) solution and copied all my tool for T2 to T3/T4/T5,..

LOOP2.PNG

Is there not an easy way to loop through the same tools (instead of copying) in a certain way (macro output tool?) & how exacty? I also attached my Alteryx workflow.

LOOP.PNG

Cheers,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
meads
7 - Meteor

Hi Tom, 

You are on the right track it seems, and you identified a use case for a macro which is sometimes the hardest part. From your post, it sounds like you are looking for whats called a Batch Macro in Alteryx, where you can loop through a set of values and perform logic on each value being looped through, in your case the recalculation. I have shared a link to batch macros, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Alteryx: Batch Macro

Batch Macro Tech Details

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @TDevrie6 

I'm thinking macro as well, but perhaps an Iterative macro instead. You'll need to loop a number of rows through the process together, not just one line at a time.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/How-create-an-Iterative-Macro-The-Collatz-Co...

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Esther

TDevrie6
5 - Atom

Hi Esther,

Thanks a lot! Iterative Macro was indeed the solution for my use case! 🙂

I do not know if you have experience with the Alteryx workflow, but I was wondering if you would know if it is possible to upload a workflow with a macro to the Gallery? If yes, the iterative macro also needs to be added to the Gallery next to the workflow?

Labels