Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Loop through multiple excel files with different tab names

tsanaga004
5 - Atom

Hi All -

Apologies for what is probably a basic question.

I have a directory with 20-30 excel files each with different sheet names and sheet numbers, but they are all numbered (i.e. 1.0 - Company Name1, 2.0 - Company Name1).

For the 1st sheet in each workbook (named 1.0 - Company Name) I need to cleanse the data (remove excess rows, and transpose columns, etc) and would then like to output the data to a single sheet for all the companies. The format of the 1st tab is the same for all Companies.

I would like to run this data cleansing for each file in the directory and then move on to the next file ending up with one output file with all companies.

I think I would need a combination of a batch macro to get the listing of file and sheet names, perform a filter to only grab the first sheet, and then an iterative macro to run the data cleansing.

I am running into a little bit of trouble of how I would format the input tools in this scenario

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

1 REPLY 1
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

The Crew Macro Pack might help - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/Crew-Macro-Pack-2016-Q2-Release/ba-p/26482

There is one called Wildcard XLSX input that will do what you describe, although you might have to play with the output a bit.

Labels