Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Loop through excel rows and create letters using Word template

Muralisagar
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to create a process that requires looping through all the excel rows and copy data into a  word document template and save it as PDF

- what is the best way to loop through all the rows

- is there any option to enter data into Word document or do we need to have the template in Excel

- how do we save Word or Excel into PDF format?

Thanks,

Santosh

6 REPLIES 6
wwatson
12 - Quasar

I'm not really sure what you mean by looping through the rows. Perhaps a multi-row formula too is what you are looking for.

You can save to PDF or Word using the Render tool in the Reporting pallet.

wwatson_0-1595844129625.png

Muralisagar
8 - Asteroid

HI,

thank you for your response

by looping I mean, I have 100 rows in excel with each candidate information. the requirement is to create certificate for each candidate using a word template (by copying each candidate's info into work and save as). In essence, particular action need to be performed for each and every row of the excel input

thanks,

M

Muralisagar
8 - Asteroid

sorry for not explaining it clearly, I need 100 PDFs to be exported if there are100 rows in the Excel spread sheet (each PDF will have info from each row)

wwatson
12 - Quasar

You can use the reporting tools to create a layout for each candidate. Some of the reporting tools have group by functions built in. The Render tool can output a separate file by groups as well.

Try something like this:

wwatson_0-1595850432405.png

Muralisagar
8 - Asteroid

wow, thank you. now it makes sense on how I can loop

in your workflow example you have created 4 word documents, can we use an existing word template, to enter this candidates data in first 2 lines and then save it as PDF instead?

thank you for your support 🙂

wwatson
12 - Quasar

You'll have to build the format of the page output using the reporting tools. You can save to PDF with the render tool, just change the output type from docx to pdf.

Labels