Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Loop Timestamp to Check System Availability

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

Hello Alteryx Community,

Hope you can give me some direction on this. I have a data source that will write a record once my main data repositories is available. The table is blank prior to the source being available. Once the source is updated, a record will be written to the table as follows:

Capture.PNG

Here is what I would like to do - I want to loop through this table earlier in the morning until the table has a record for today's date with the SystemAvail flag = TRUE. Once that loop successfully completes I want to kick off another workflow. Essentially, this is supposed to trigger the run of a critical process as soon as the source system is updated.

Question - how would I setup this initial loop?

Please help! Thanks in advance.

--- Kristina

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @kheuer 

If I got this correctly, you need to know if the table has today's date and System Avail set to True.

Based on my understanding, I believe a filter tool with 2 conditions like below should do the trick.

[TimeStamp] = todate(DateTimeToday()) and [SystemAvail] = 1

If this returns something, then the table got updated, if not so not yet.... then you can add a Test tool to your workflow to error out if no record is returned (no update occurred).

christine_assaad_0-1605025455180.png

Then you may use Crew Macros Runner and Conditional runner to run the 2nd workflow based on the success of the first one.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Amarendra
10 - Fireball

Hi @kheuer You can also use the Batch Macro and the control parameter. He is a video on Batch Macros from the YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAbQGQ_Hkg&t=366s

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @kheuer 

See attached app package.

You will need to chain apps using Alteryx Designer's Interface Designer.

Use the Test Tool in the first App to evaluate the TimeStamp and SystemAvail conditions.  A failed test will generate an error.

Select: Cancel Running Workflow on Error in the Workflow Config Runtime.

In the Interface Designer Properties, select On Success - Run Another Analytic App, choose your app.

Capture1.PNG

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the post. Your solution would only help me if I ran this process once. However, I am trying to setup a loop so that the condition would be checked over and over again until the table has today's date and System Avail set to True.

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I like this!!! I am going to give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for sharing.  I will give this a try.  Thanks!

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

@HomesickSurfer - this is a great solution if I only were to run this process once but what I am looking for is a loop. The process should run every x seconds to check if the system is available (looping) and once conditions are true, the actual workflow should be executed. Your solution works if I run it one time and the condition is met. Do you have an idea on how to make your solution an iterative process?

Hi @kheuer 

Do you have a server to schedule the workflow or are you looking for a solution that would keep monitoring the system until the fields got updated?

If you have a server/scheduling option, you can have a workflow that runs every X mins till a specified time.

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @kheuer 

Save both ‘timestamp’ checker and your other app (must be an app without questions) to the gallery/server.  Schedule the ‘checker’ to run daily at x hour every x minutes...or as preferred.

hope this works.  Let me know.

Labels