Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Lookup and replace

vvissamsetty
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

I have thousands of lines of data with some duplicate security names and blank client instruments. I'm trying to create a step where if there are duplicate security names with blank client instrument, lookup the security name in the column and choose client instrument which is not blank. Basically I wish to do a vlookup on security name and populate blank client security id based on the name. Can anyone guide me on this?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Loic
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is what I would do: sort by first column and then second column. so the real values are first and null second in the second column. Then use "Find and replace" (it does a VLOOKUP too, like Join tool and others) and use the option "first instance" for the second column. it will return only the first non null value.

vvissamsetty
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Loic , thanks for your reply. Apologies, I wasn't clear in describing my issues. I basically want the null values to be filled with client security ID based on the security name. In this instance I want the null values to be replaced with 'GOOG' which is found based on the common security name.

Thanks

NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @vvissamsetty 

My thoughts here are to essentially use a copy of your input as a bit of a self-lookup table, so that a join can append the relevant Client Instrument.  Could also add a recordID if needed for sorting back to the original order after the join.

clipboard_image_0.png

vvissamsetty
8 - Asteroid

That worked, thanks @NickSm !

Labels