Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Login Credentials

Ken
8 - Asteroid

We have a work flow that has several connections to the same data, DB2. This requires a username and password. I entered my username & password when I originally connected to the data. One month later I have to change password. So I have to go dig up all the input tools and reconnect. Is there a way to have my password stored in, say a text file and the logins reference that password? That way all I have to do is change that text file when my password changes...

Or are there other options?

8 REPLIES 8
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Ken

I would check out this great article from @TonyM on database connection (Alias) Management. This will allow you to change all your passwords in one location and subsequently update all your workflows with those connections and alias name. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

Ken
8 - Asteroid
Will do - Thanks!

Ken Higginbotham
D575 Reliability Programs

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This email may contain privileged or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication is prohibited
Ken
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to make this work with Tableau connector?

Wangwn
7 - Meteor

Hi Jordan,

I followed the instruction that Tony's article provided, and set up the Alias connection, however when I try to connect it with the input data tool, I got the error message saying "Connection Error: Error [28000] password authentication faild for user". Do you know how to solve this?

Thanks!

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Ken Unfortunately this is not supported however this would be a great suggestion for Ideas Section on the community. I believe this may already be on the product reoadmap as well. 

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Wangwn

The error message you provided are indicating a login failure. Usually these types of errors are due to an incorrect username or password being passed by the connection string. Please double check to make sure the username and password are valid, and that you can login with those credentials to your native database. 

We have also seen this type of error if the password in the connection string contains certain reserved characters such as a pipe symbol. If the password contains some special characters you can identify this as the issue by testing with a password that is strictly alphanumeric.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

Wangwn
7 - Meteor

Thank you!

David-UHG
7 - Meteor

@Tom @Wangwn

Is there a way you can get a service account in your organization?

Labels