Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Locking workflow tools from being editted

saimathangi
7 - Meteor

Hello all, I have a requirement where I have to deliver a workflow to a client who doesn't have much experience with Alteryx. I want just the input and output tools to be open for editing where the user can change the paths if required. The rest of the workflow must be locked for editing, so that its not confusing for the user. Is there a way to do so?

6 REPLIES 6
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @saimathangi,

You could encrypt your workflow within a macro and add the users which should be able to run it.

If your user has an alteryx designer would be complicated otherwise.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

Have you considered using analytic apps? When the user clicks to open the flow, the GUI you design will open by default instead of Alteryx Designer. 

https://help.alteryx.com/current/Wizard_Modules.htm

saimathangi
7 - Meteor

Thanks @DrewDavis.

I have another doubt now. In the Alteryx help, it is written,  "To run app, open it in Designer or click the app icon on your desktop." Can you please let me know how to create the app icon in desktop or in any other folder?

AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

Save the flow as an .YXWZ file (Analytic App) on the desktop. When someone clicks the file, the GUI you created will open if they have Alteryx installed on their computer (Alteryx Designer will not open). 

saimathangi
7 - Meteor

While the app is opening correctly in my system once the app icon is clicked in desktop, the same isn't happening in the user's system.

The GUI is not opening when the file in the desktop is clicked. Instead, it is opening in Alteryx designer, from where the user has to navigate to Options-> Run analytic apps, and then chose the file manually! Please let me know if there are any settings which should be done in the user's system.

AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

Could you post the app so I can try it on my system? I have never hit that error before. 

Labels