Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Locked Workbooks in Shared Drive Not Working Between Coworkers

nathanf4
6 - Meteoroid

Okay, so I have created some relatively simple macros. They pull data via two different download tools from an OAuth API. Then it kicks out the data via an output of the macro. What this gives me is the ability to put the client ID and secret in a macro, which allows me to quickly pull this API in other situations when I need to. I wanted to share this macro with a co-worker, but I don't want him to see the client ID and secret, so I locked the macro.

The issue is that when I locked the macro (No serial numbers listed) he isn't allowed to insert that macro in the canvas area. He also isn't able to run the macro. Alteryx gives an error saying it isn't a valid macro. So, I tried locking it with his serial number in the section where you can list that. This resulted in the same issue. He can't run or insert the macro in a canvas on Alteryx designer. 

But if I send him the unlocked macro. He saved it down on his computer then locked it himself he seems to be able to run the locked version, and it all works fine, but defeats the reason I locked it in the first place.

My version: 2020.4.5.12471

Co Worker version: 20.3.4.30228

Is this just a version issue? Or is there something I don't understand about locking workbooks?

2 REPLIES 2
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @nathanf4 

This is likely a version issue since your coworker is on an older version of Alteryx than you.

Also, when locking the workflow did you follow the steps as listed in the help document below?
https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/lock-your-workflow

Thanks!
TrevorS

Community Moderator
nathanf4
6 - Meteoroid

Okay, I will get us both updated later this month and see if that fixes the issue. Then report back here.

I did follow that guide, and I assume I did each step there accurately - it seemed very straight forward. 

Labels