Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Loading Files and Archiving with Checks

Lifesigns
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I've been working on a workflow for a few days and it's the first time doing this in Alteryx.

Six files loaded daily from csv and txt into Teradata, I have it working for one and it moves them to an archive location - great.

What I'm trying to accomplish now is a sanity check on the amount of records in the file before loading and after, before it archives them.

That presents two problems I can't figure out.

1. Once all the files are loaded, or not, it still proceeds to arching them, I've tried a record count before and after but how do I add that logic to say TRUE they were loaded and are in the database - move the files to the archive folder.

2. The six files are all different and require a few tweaks regarding dates etc. and go into different tables.

I've tried using a record count but that didn't work as it was losing fields, then I've tried block until down i.e. load them and once that completes move the files.

Don't fully understand the flow of Alteryx, in SSIS everything was connected and one process occurred after the other, where if I started adding in the second file as a test it was running out of order in Alteryx.

Thanks for any input.

1 REPLY 1
EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Lifesigns

I suggest using an iterative macro to process one file at a time. You could include a conditional expression that checks whether data was retrieved for each file accessed and write the data retrieval status to a file.

Designer only communicates with a database through a driver. It is the driver that handles the connection and data transfer. To verify if it is loaded in the database, it would be necessary to query the tables after the upload.

If assistance is needed with building a workflow for this use case, don't hesitate to contact our Virtual Solutions Center by going to https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Virtual-Solution-Center/tkb-p/vsc. It is a free service, and you can schedule time with an Alteryx Solution Expert.

Labels