Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Load Excel files from list of File Paths

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Is it possible to load specific (but the same) sheets from a bunch of Excel files (all same format as each other) as listed in a Text Input?

Ideally the files would be opened then processed before Union'ing into one.

Is this do-able? Couldn't see quite this question anywhere on the Community pages but apologies if I've missed it. I'd be happy with a link to solve this!

Thanks, regards

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @CDunhill 

Check out the Dynamic Input tool! This should get you exactly what you're looking for.

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Thanks - I'm looking into it now. I've not used this before - looks like I may need to check out some examples.

mmishal001
8 - Asteroid

@CDunhill 

Yes it is possible to load specific and same sheets of the same format to Alteryx and union them all together as long as the schema (structure and type is the same). As you have mentioned they are all in the same format and this shouldn't be an issue. But if is is follow steps from this link.

Bring in a Director tool and make sure configuration is as per below (include sub directories if you folder has multiple folders within)

mmishal001_0-1573899574492.png

Your dynamic input schema should look like this,

mmishal001_1-1573899658159.png

Like I've mentioned - this will work if all your excel files have one sheet and are of the same schema.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mishal

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

This is useful, thank you.

As is often the way, the problem is that I was asking the wrong question - I was trying to import a specific range within a sheet. However, I can see your solution will work and I can handle the range extraction 'down-stream'.

Labels