Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Listbox help

cireost
8 - Asteroid

Hi- I have attached a list of income codes that I need a user to select with an analytic app. The list of codes can be different (but format will be same) and users will browse on their own computer to select the list.  

Can someone help me with building an app that allows the users to select the excel file, create the list showing the "Income Category" and then based on the user selection, it will write the selections to an excel output file?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @cireost 

Two steps here, and I think you'll need a chained app.

A File Browse tool can be used to select the file that will have the list. That's the first step. With a Select tool, rename the columns Name and Value. Write out the data into an Alteryx database.

Then, you can use that database to feed into a List Box tool. Choose the option in the List Box Values to connect to an external file (the Alteryx database you created with the first app). You can then write out whatever you need, connecting the List box tool whatever other data you are processing.

When you open the Interface window for the first app, you choose to run the second app upon success.

There's a GREAT eLearning on that process here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!

Esther

cireost
8 - Asteroid

Thanks this was helpful.  I think I got the chain app part but please take a look. 

I am trying to allow the user to select as many from the list and then filter on those results.  If the user selects just 1 item, there is no error, however, if they select more than 1, then there is an error.  Would you mind take a peek?

Thanks.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @cireost 

Yes, you got the chained app part. Well done, and you're so close here. If you want multiple choices from the list box, instead of [Field]="value" as your Filter, use [Field] in ("value"), in your case, [ACREDTAC] In ("CT30000"). The In lets you match one or more into your filter, because it looks to match every text string within the parentheses

Then, in your action tool connected to the filter, just change the action to replace the "CT30000"

Should look like this. Filter:

image.png

Action tool: 
image.png

Let me know if that works now.

Cheers!

Esther

Labels