Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

List box to update the Select function on a Multi Formula Tool (In Macro) Not working

CamodCPA
8 - Asteroid

Hello Hello Hello! 

Might be the Friday blues, or I am approaching this all wrong. But, in general, I have a multifield formula tool inside of a macro, I want to set up a List box to select what fields get passed through. I have been at this for some time today now. Hopefully, someone can point me the right direction on setting up this interface!

Below is a simple version just a visual of how I set up the interface to function with the multi-formula tool in the macro (not the actual thing). Am I thinking somewhere in the settings?

multi form.PNG

Thanks for taking a look!

7 REPLIES 7
MichaelSu
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @CamodCPA ,

If you're looking to simply select which columns you would like to pass through, just use a select tool instead with the same exact config. The trick is to deselect all of your columns in the select tool, otherwise by default they will get passed through even though you only selected specific columns within the analytic app. 

Thanks,

Mike

MichaelSu
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

CamodCPA
8 - Asteroid

@MichaelSu 

Thank you for the fast reply and the example for selecting columns! 

So, This I have tried--however the goal is to maintain the input data structure and only apply the multi-field formula to selected fields!

Can the select window in this tool be manipulated through interface tools?

Thanks again!

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @CamodCPA,

Here is one way to do this:

- first, please have a look at list.csv output, this gives you the format of how List Box selections look like (comma delimited list in double quotes) - try single and multiple selections to see the difference

- for each field you'll need to get a separate Action tool and target value is the '@selected-value' property for the respective field name

- first, please select 'All Types of' in the Multi-Row Formula tool to expose all field and tick 'Selected or Unknown Fields'option - only when a specific field is un-ticked, its '@selected-value' property becomes visible for Action tool (when ticked this is not visible)

- finally, pretty much all settings/metadata of any tool including Multi-Row Formula are exposed for the Action tool, with this specific tool being quite advanced and very powerful at the same time, i suggest you play with it to understand the way it works, for example you may want to create copies or overwrite the original fields etc.

img1.JPGimg2.JPGimg3.JPG

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

CamodCPA
8 - Asteroid

Found a Workaround with your suggestion!

thank you!

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @CamodCPA,

Example solution is attached:

img1.JPGimg2.JPGimg3.JPG

CamodCPA
8 - Asteroid

@rafalolbert ,

Wow,

Wonderfull explanation!!! I ended up creating a workaround. but this is fantastic. I Love how you approaching teaching this by outputting the list csv!

Thank you so much!

Labels