Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

List box to pull row values from single column

ajr2183
7 - Meteor

It is probably my lack of understanding entirely how the tool works, but I just want to populate my listbox with the values in one of the columns from my source table. Is this possible? From my initial understanding, the listbox takes the column "headers", not the rows under a single column. Is that correct? Or is it possible to take the values from a single column, rather than the headers? I've seen some stuff where you can use the Cross Tab tool to essentially pivot the row values into columns and then use those in your list box, but it seems like I would need to create a chained app that performs the Cross Tab pivot, and then that feeds into my listbox... It feels like this is a bit of overkill to just grab all of the values in a column and place them in a listbox, but maybe that is the case. Also, if I use Cross Tab to create a bunch of columns from my rows, will that cause any performance issues if I am "Cross-tabbing" like 100,000 rows?

On a similar line of thought, I basically just want to give my user the ability to select any number of invoices he/she wants to see and then have those generate some reports that I am going to put together for those specified invoices. I figured having the invoices (which are currently in a single column), available in a listbox, the user could select the invoices he/she wants, and that would be the most effective way to get the reports they want. If there is another way to do this, I'm definitely open to suggestions on that front.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Hi there

It is possible, I completed the same thing a few days ago for the first time. Your below explanation re cross tab to create headers to populate the list is also how I accomplished mine (although admittedly I don't know if there is another way to do this).

Not sure if 100,000 rows will slow you down but also do you really want 100,000 list box options.

If you want the example I have just let me know.

Thanks

Kevin

ajr2183
7 - Meteor

If you wouldn't mind sharing it, that would be great.

You're question regarding if I really want 100,000 list box options is exactly what I have been trying to think through. It seems like a pretty unmanageable amount. It is going to be a list of invoices, and I figured I could sort ascending to make it somewhat easier for the person to find. I was thinking of just using a Text Box interface tool, so that the user could enter in a specific invoice they want to search for and generate a report for that. But I also wanted to allow them to enter multiple invoices, rather than only let them do one at a time, which is why I thought a list box made more sense. 

Would you happen to have any suggestions of how I could ultimately achieve what I am trying to do (give user ability to enter multiple invoices), without needing to use a massive list box.... I wonder if it is possible to use a Text Box, but then specify that they use a comma between invoices if entering multiple invoices... then I wonder if there is a way to take that Text Box input, look for commas, and somehow break those into separate parameters?... Does any of that make sense (clearly I'm still pretty new to alteryx).

Thanks

KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Hi There

Attached for you with some sample data.

Not sure about the options here re text box (I am pretty new to Apps as well) but is there a way to limit the amount of invoices options available in the fist place i.e. only provide invoices relating to a specific time periods or users.

Sorry cant be more help.

Thanks

Kevin

ajr2183
7 - Meteor

Hey,

Thanks for the response. I actually found this discussion which I think is what I was looking for. It allows the user to enter in multiple values, using a semicolon as the delimiter.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/User-interface-input-multiple-values/t...

Thanks!

KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Excellent, thanks for that, I will no doubt use that someday.

Labels