Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

List all Tab names in Excel workbook

jenner85
8 - Asteroid

Hi - is there a way to import all the names of sheets within a workbook? I am using the directory input to pull in a bunch of files and unfortunately all of the workbooks have different tab names, based on the month-year (and they're not even consistent, some are JUNE-16 or JUN-18 for example).

Wondering if there is a macro somewhere that can read all sheet names from multiple workbooks.

thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6
messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@jenner85,

Please see below how you can have list of sheet name from a file

messi007_0-1613062186734.png

Regards,

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Worksheets? Definitely! Take a quick look at your input data options and you'll notice at the bottom of the window there's an option to "import only the list of sheet names"

If you need to then bring in all of your data from all of your worksheets you can use a Dynamic Input Tool. Try this video for a step-by-step guide.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Connecting-to-Multiple-Sheets-at-Once/ta-p/8287...

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @jenner85 

In order for this to work with a directory tool, first change the FullPath field like this:

[FullPath] + "|<List of Sheet Names>"

Then, use this field in a Dynamic Input tool changing the entire file path.

Kenda_0-1613062475995.png

In your data source template, make sure to 

- select <List of Sheet Names> as the Table or Query

- output the file name (so you can match the worksheets to their file

- check that the first row contains data

jenner85
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Kenda thank you - It is working for about half my files, the other half are coming up like this: 

jenner85_0-1613063319378.png

jenner85
8 - Asteroid

Hi @apathetichell @messi007  I tried to import from all my workbooks using import list of sheet names and it is only working for some of the files:

jenner85_0-1613063558480.png

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@jenner85,

Could you share a sample of your data and the workflow please.

It will help to fix the problem.

Best Regards,

Labels