Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

List Box & Update Value

vern
8 - Asteroid

I am fairly new to Alteryx and I thought I would try something new.

I want to allow the user of the Alteryx application to select a company from a list rather than change the company within the filter.

After playing around with it for several hours, I realize I have no idea how to do this.

Would some please show me or if there is a better way please let me know.

6 REPLIES 6
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @vern ,

You have to change to the custom filter from Basic filter at Filter tool.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1604756521095.png

After that, you have to select "Expression - value='[COMPANY]=6'" and check the "Replace a specific string" and leave "6".

AkimasaKajitani_1-1604756625903.png

vern
8 - Asteroid

I was under the impression the program would prompt the user for the company number to process. As it is now, it's just generating the output for company 6 all the time?

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I missed that you use ListBox. The output of the ListBox cannot be used as it is.
At this case, the output is "1=False,3=True,4=False,5=False,6=False,7=False"(if you checked 3).
Now my workflow overwrite 6 by "1=False,3=True,4=False,5=False,6=False,7=False", so the result is not my expected.

I update my workflow that using Text input tool and Join tool.
List Box overwrite the Text input tool.
The Join tool works as an alternative to a filter.

vern
8 - Asteroid

I have Alteryx 2020.2 and am having trouble opening your workflow?

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hello,

Below how you can get dynamically the company name.

However I recommend you to use a drop down in order to let the user select only one company 🙂

You have to link the cross tab to your database I used the input text just to test 😉 

messi007_0-1604939630354.png

Attached the workflow,

Hope that helps !

Regards,

vern
8 - Asteroid

I just downloaded and installed Alteryx 2020.3

is there a better way to accomplish what I want to do?

I just want to make it easy for the person running the workflow to select the company and then have the workflow execute. I wouldn't think that would be a big deal but i'm starting to wonder?

Labels