Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

List Box - Name and Value error in List Value (External source option)

NNB
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to design a chain application where the list box tool will 1. Pull up the field names and allow the user to select a particular field. 2. Once the field is selected, it will then allow the user to choose from the available data/rows of that field. I am trying to accomplish this process using a chain app.

I have created an analytic app (Step1_NNB.yxwz) which runs and creates an output data. And then another dependent analytic app runs at the back end to access the output data/database.

Problem: I have created a Step 1 workflow and the output file. The output file is accessed by the Step 2 workflow, but the Step 2 workflow is not running properly because it does not have both the NAME && VALUE field. For some reason the output data base only has just once column.

Steps followed: I would like to access the Value field through the Step1_NNB.yxwz and then choose a filed. When i choose a Field and go to the next step, there is an error window with a message that database should have a Name and Value field.

Inference So far: I seen other workflows that have been designed have the same data in the "Field" as well as the "Value" column. But for some reason I have not been able to accomplish that.

Attached the package along.

Thanks,

NNB

5 REPLIES 5
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @NNB, you will have to manually construct the NAME && VALUE (key/value) pair as part of your step 1 output for step 2 to read it in the format it is looking for. I modified your Step 1 using the following approach, which Step2 is able to read.

AbhilashR_0-1590947251000.png

I hope this helps.  

NNB
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Abhilash,

Thank you for the help.

One question, how do I use the value I have selected using the list box tool in the formula tool/in my next steps? For example I run the Step1_NNB.yxwz file -- select Field 2 -- select the value B2 in the next step. My aim would be to use that B2 value to do something in the formula tool. Will you be able to help me with this?

Thanks,

NNB  

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @NNB, I modified my previous solution. Can you give this a try and let us know if this is what you were looking for? 

AbhilashR_0-1591242345222.png

NNB
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @AbhilashR,

This is working but the answer is coming up in Step2_NNB.yxwz output. I was hoping to get the answer in the main version which is Step1_NNB.yxwz. Unless I get the answer in the Step1 file I cannot proceed with the next steps. Is there a way to get the value in the Step1_NNB.yxwz file?

Initial Goal: To use the List Box to pull out a single field value and then use that value in the formula tool for something else. Then I noticed that the list box only allows the user to choose one/multiple fields. So I created the Step2 file so that I could select a single value from the field chosen in the previous step. But I think in all this I deviated from my initial goal, please let me know if this can be done in some other way.

Thanks,

NNB

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @NNB, by virtue of how your original workflow was structured, the answer will always come out of the 2nd workflow and not the 1st. In order to better help, could you mock us some dummy data and tell us what would an ideal user experience be for what you are trying to build? I always find it easy to convey a concept or approach when we have data to look at and play with. 

Labels