Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

List Box Filter Problem

Wm_Neil
6 - Meteoroid

Relatively new to the Alteryx world, am having difficulty getting a list box to work with a filter. List box is reading from a file with both name and value, filter is set to custom, Operand is highlighted under the Operands tree branch.

11 REPLIES 11
Wm_Neil
6 - Meteoroid

View of app.

ScreenshotScreenshotDebugDebug

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Try selecting "Generate Custom List" in your List Box tool, and then changing your Action tool to point to the Expression instead. 

For example, if your filter is configured to filter for [Month] IN ("01"), then you would point your Action tool to the Expression, and then check the box and modify the "Replace a specific string" configuration at the bottom to replace only the 01 portion of the string. 

This way, if you selected months Jan, Feb, and March in your List Box, it will replace the "01" in your filter formula to read [Month] IN ("01","02","03"). 

See attached for example!

Cheers,

NJ

Wm_Neil
6 - Meteoroid

Nicole, thanks for the response. I do have Generate Custom Selected and pointing to the statement date file. This feeds the list box and populates with a list of dates to select when running the app. The action tool then points to Operand - value., however, this is not working. If I change it to expression, it does not pull data. I can't view your app, I'm using 18.3.7.5.

List box.PNGAction Tool.PNG

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Are you selecting more than one date? If so, you'll want an IN statement in your filter, not an = sign. That way if the user selects more than one date, your query will still work.

[Stmt_Date] In ("2019-01-15")

Additionally, you will need to use the Expression section at the top, not the Operand item you are currently pointing to in your Action tool. The Operand you are referencing will only work for Simple filters, and you're using a Custom one. If you configure your Action tool to update the Expression instead, I believe it will work.

ListBoxFilter.JPG

NJ

Wm_Neil
6 - Meteoroid

How can I post my app for you to look at, the attachment tool won't take it.

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You'll need to "package" it, the Community doesn't accept .yxwz files as attachments for some reason... select Options > Export Workflow and then your app will be packaged as a .yxzp file that you can share in a post.

Wm_Neil
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much for all the help!

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Found the issue - update your configuration as highlighted below (you only want your list of dates to replace the initial date used to configure the workflow, not replace the entire filter formula string):

FilterList.JPG

NJ

Wm_Neil
6 - Meteoroid

NJ, you are a gem! Learned a lot , thanks so much.

Labels