Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Linking the name of output tab with the filter's value

Kamran1991
11 - Bolide

I am trying to to link the name of output tab in excel as I select while using the magic button

I have a dummy data for different customers for individual quarters. Now, I want the quarterly data, by using filter with a particular formatting.

I have used interface drop down tool for selecting filtering the data of reporting quarter. It is processing the quarterly data correctly but I want to update the tab's name also to be updated according to my selection in magic button as Q-1, Q-2, Q-3 and Q-4. Secondly, processed output  tab should be appended with earlier tab  means if I process Q-2 data after Q-1, both the tabs should be available.

I can easily do it if the reporting tools are not used, by connecting the action tool with the output tool

Your help and guidance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!

2 REPLIES 2
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Kamran1991,

For question number #1, I have used this post to output the selected quarter on the tab name (in particular @CharlieS first response)

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Naming-Tabs-in-an-Excel-Doc-Using-Rend...

Now to append each selected quarter to the file is a different type of beast. Generally it's not doable to append tabs with the reporting tools, so you need a workaround. Inspired by @WilliamR  post here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/how-to-use-render-to-append-excel-shee...

I put together an app that allows the user to select a desired directory to look for the output file "Quarterly sales report". If the file exists, it will read all different sheets and append the data for the new quarter selected by the user. If it doesn't exists, the container will be deactivated so you will only output the data for the quarter selected by the user, creating a new file

AngelosPachis_0-1629638356834.png

I'm sending over a packaged workflow with the app and the macro. Once you import it in Alteryx Designer, you will receive an "error message" like below: 

AngelosPachis_1-1629638421099.png

This is because the "quarterly sales report" doesn't exist currently. You can ignore this temporarily by clicking ok. Now if you run the example.yxwz app appearing first 

AngelosPachis_2-1629638493371.png

you will be prompted to select a directory to look for the file and a quarter. The directory where you look for a file will be the same as the one where your output is created

AngelosPachis_3-1629638541850.png

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Angelos

Kamran1991
11 - Bolide

Thanks @AngelosPachis, your guidance is helpful!!!

Labels