Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Link 2 files to each other

rtlane
8 - Asteroid

I have 2 folders, let's call them primary and secondary. Primary folder has shapefiles in it and secondary folder has google earth kmz files. Shapefiles (primary folder) are the only files that are edited and the google earth files are just converted from the shapefiles to KMZ.

I'm going to create a workflow that scans the primary folder and saves the last write time stamp in a database. The next time it runs, it will see if there were any changes to the primary files and if so, it will archive the file in the secondary folder with the same name and then create a new one. Then is will overwrite the time stamp database.

The problem is when one of the primary files is changed, it needs a new filename because at the end of the filename we use a 6 digit date ex: "ABC 100821.shp". So when the workflow scans, it will see that the shapefile was changed but wont know what GE file needs to be archived and replaced because the filename changed. Is there a way to link 2 files without having the same filename. Maybe encode it somehow with a special number? The only solution I can think of is to do away with the date in the filename but I might run into an issue later where I want to change the filename because it was incorrect.

2 REPLIES 2
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @rtlane - Can you create a table (for eaxmple yxdb) in which you will write an old name and a new name?

rtlane
8 - Asteroid

That is an option, but I would like to avoid doing that extra manual step if I can help it.

Labels