Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Limit on data size

MizunashiSinayu
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am new to Alteryx. I would like to ask a very simple question...

I would like to know whether Alteryx has a limit on the number or size of data to be imported to Alteryx?

Thank you very much, 

11 REPLIES 11
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Never hit one myself - it is very smart about swapping to disk when it needs to.

(Some specific tools might have issues but the first party ones are very very good)

Largest data set I have tried is the entire land registry data set for UK and it had no problems what so ever.

To quote @Ned:

2016-06-08_10-05-36.jpg

MizunashiSinayu
8 - Asteroid

Wow... okay...

The whole land, I can predict that the size will be unpredictable for my brain.

And thanks for the quote regarding 1T data :D

Best regards,

Miz U

Durai
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

What is the max size of data I can store in a field?

I read somehere that max size up to 8000 for Vchar & VW char. Which data type i can use if I want to store 32000 bytes as we concatenating some of the fields it may go up to 32K bytes.

thanks

Durai

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

According to Alteryx Help

"While there is no limit to the number of records or file size, there is a record size limit of 2GB in a 64-bit environment. 32 bit Alteryx has a record size limit of 256MB."

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

Also according to Alteryx Help

String and WString formats are limited to 8192 characters.

PW_dup_234
5 - Atom

Dear all,

We want to import a txt file with 12,000 records but Alteryx only displays 1,638 records. Memory limit reached.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks and regards,

PW

Durai
6 - Meteoroid

There are no limits for no. of records. We process more than billion records on every day. I think you need have browse to view all the records which is getting processed on the workflow.

mackenziek
6 - Meteoroid

I'm getting a limitation on an .shp output file that contain spatial data.  The error that pops up from Alteryx says that 2GB is the limit and the file I am looking to export is 3GB.   Is there something I'm missing if Alteryx has no limits?

EricM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @mackenziek

The Shapefile format, which is developed/regulated by ESRI, has a limit of 2GB.  

Here are a couple of options if you need to export >2GB of spatial data: 

- Split the data into multiple .shp files

- Export to another spatial file format/database that supports files larger than 2GB 

- You can try to reduce the file size by generalizing the geometry, where appropriate

You can also use the Autofield tool to reduce size of the output file.  

Labels