Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Lift Curve

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Here is the lift chart output, the chart starts at (0.1,0.1) not at the origin of (0,0) is there a reason to that?

Picture1.png 

Here are some scaling on both X and Y axis...

Picture2.png

If we put eh point to the origin and redraw the cumulative response, is this a more accurate graph?

Picture3.png

The area under the curve (AUC or ROC metric) does it include the drawn area as well or not?

Picture4.png

Best

2 REPLIES 2
josethomas429
5 - Atom

This question is old and I am not with Alteryx support, but I was doing something related.  I thought I would comment.

I believe the AUC reported does indeed include the area between 0 and 0.1 even though it is not shown.

I checked this using the gains chart that is also provide in the output.  So say Alteryx gives you a gains chart like this:

DecileCum_Pct

0        g0           
10g1
20g2
30g3
40g4
50g5
60g6
70g7
80g8
90g9
100    g10         

g0-g10 are numbers between 0 and 1.

The x-coordinates of the points in the curve are Decile / 100.  The y-coordinates of points in the curve are g0 - g10 (though point (0,g0) is omitted as you pointed out.

Using the trapezoidal rule, the AUC including the area that's 'falling off the picture' is like this:

AUC ~= sum(i= 1 to i=10) {((Decile[i] - Decile[i-1])/100)*(g[i] + g[i-1])/2}

It may look a little funky, but this calculation is easy to do in Excel.  Doing that in my own example, I can match the AUC Alteryx is outputting to 3 decimal places.  So I think it's the case that they're including the 'falling of the chart' area.  Why they didn't start the chart at 0 for the picture, I don't know.  I speculate that the incremental option would logically start at 0.1 and they decided to start both versions of the chart at the same place.

Best,

Jose

josethomas429
5 - Atom

Oh noticed one other thing.  You mentioned ROC in your question and this is not an ROC curve.  The AUC reported by the Lift tool is the AUC under the Gains curve.  I think there are other Alteryx tools that calculate AUC for the ROC curve but I haven't used them.

Labels