Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

License query

soodjatin2001
6 - Meteoroid

Is it ok to switch Alteryx designer license from user A to user B on 15th Oct 2020.

Please confirm if Alteryx Designer uninstallation is required from user A if he does not have the license key 16th Oct 2020 onwards?

Also confirm if i have 15 key for Alteryx designer, can i have 100 installation of Alteryx Designer full version with only 15 users using the software?

15 REPLIES 15
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Alteryx Designer is installed and then subsequently activated with a key, but the tools will be locked in the software until the license is activated. 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

While it is possible to deactivate a license and move it to a new machine, licenses are not designed to be shared among users. 

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Following on from what @BrandonB said,

I would also suggest looking at this:
https://help.alteryx.com/current/product-activation-and-licensing/view-licenses

From an admin panel you are able to see all your alteryx licenses, and the machines they are attached to. This can be useful if there is a machine no longer in use and for migrating the license.
As Brandon said, they are not designed to be shared, but if a user moves machines this can be an easy way to disable the previous machine from the license.

Cheers!

Bulien
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can switch the user of a license by deactivating the old user, and then reactivating for the new user. The original user would then be unlicensed and would not be able to run workflows in Designer. As mentioned above, the tools would show locks on them. See this article for more information on transferring a license:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/product-activation-and-licensing/transfer-license-alteryx-designer

With regard to having 15 keys and then a pool of 100 users who would potentially be using the software, this is not allowed. Licenses are on a per user basis. If you have 15 licenses, 15 users would be able to use the software. You cannot continuously reallocate the license to one of the 100 users.

Hope this helps!

soodjatin2001
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for the response.

From a license compliance perspective/Best practice should i ask user A, to uninstall Alteryx Designer from his system or this is not required since the software would not work without a license key?

soodjatin2001
6 - Meteoroid

From a license compliance perspective/Best practice should i ask user A, to uninstall Alteryx Designer from his system or this is not required since the software would not work without a license key

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I would recommend telling them to uninstall. From previous situations I've had it work when the license is revoked and moved to my new machine, but then after a seemingly random amount of time within the hour it locks me out of the old machine - so it is unusable without a license key and might be confusing for the user if not. I think this can also cause errors for the new machine, so just best practise to uninstall and clear down the old machine in moving to a new.

Bulien
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

User A will need to deactivate the license, otherwise user B will get an error saying there are no open seats.

Either user A can deactivate, or if you have access to the license manager you can revoke.

soodjatin2001
6 - Meteoroid

request you to confirm if there can be any license compliance gap if Alteryx Designer is still installed for a user A who had a key in the past. But the key is revoked and assigned to a different user B due to change of roles in the business.

Now, is it a license gap if user A still has Alteryx Designer installed on his computer???

Labels