Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Let the user update a specific value in a column where the column is chosen by the user

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hello everyone,

My colleague and I are working on building an application for users in the Marketing Team to update their marketing events data. 

Currently they have a flat file with columns such as Marketing Activity, Cost, Channel etc. and rows representing marketing activities.

We want them to use the app to select an activity, select a specific field and then update that field.

We have 2 parts of the chained app built already which allows them to

1. Pick a marketing activity (select the right row)
  2. Select the field to update (select the right column)

But we are struggling with step 3, to update the selected field. Currently we can just write a new field but not write into the selected field.

See below snipping.

Is there a way to directly write into the selected field?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Unfortunately, I can't share the exact workflow due to confidential data, but I have created a workflow with similar data.

I am running it in designer as an analytical app, I am selecting the drop downs and inserting the changes, but it isn't being updated. 

I have renamed my Activity Name column to Marketing Activity, but there are still issues. 

I have attached the workflow.

Thanks for your help!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @ZeeshaanH 

I found what may be causing the issue in your workflow. In your interface tools, you have to ensure that you rename each of them (in the configuration window) to match what you're calling it in your formula. Currently, They're all named Drop Down (8), etc. Instead, they need to be named Field, Activity, and Update. Once you change these, the formula will know the correct fields to look for.

Before (current)Before (current)                            After (what it should say)After (what it should say)

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hello,

It has finally worked, thank you so much for your help!

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have come across an error which is where the columns that share the same activity names, while I choose one activity name and a field to update, the columns that share the same activity name also get updated.

For example, if there are two activity names called 'Weekly Newsletter', if I select one and choose to update the cost to 50, both 'Weekly Newsletter' cost columns would be updated to 50. 

To try and fix this, I have added a record ID called 'Activity ID' and have used the same method for the Activity Name where the user can select the activity name they want to update, so now the user can select the Activity Name and the Activity ID associated with that Activity Name to update that specific column. 

I have added an drop down interface tool and named it 'ActivityID' and have added this to the multi-field formula, but now when I test it nothing gets updated. 

Is there a solution to this? 

Alteryx Activity ID.PNGAlteryx Workflow.PNG

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@ZeeshaanH 

Is there any way that you can send a sample workflow that I can download to test?

One problem might be that for formula is referencing the ID like it's a string when the field is actually a number. In this case, you could change your formula to say 

tonumber("%Question.ActivityID%")

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

I have attached a sample workflow with similar data, in the multi field formula, if you were to remove && [ActivityID]="%Question.ActivityID%", The columns will be updated as normal.

I changed the record ID data type to a string, but there was still an error. 

If you were to update the 'Email' activity name, both email columns would be updated in this sample workflow. 

Thanks

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@ZeeshaanH 

Don't forget, you've got to change the name of your new drop down in the workflow configuration window so that it matches what you're calling it in your formula.

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Thanks, I was unaware that you had to change it in the configuration section. 

I try changing it, but it reverts back to Drop Down, how do I save it? 

Thanks!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@ZeeshaanH 

You would rename this one just how you did the other ones

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (1).gif

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

It's now working!

Thank you for your help throughout.

Labels