Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Let a user add data to specific fields

FlorianH
7 - Meteor

Hi 🙂

I join the "Order Number" from the second input table to the first input table by the fields "Order". But it can happen, that an order doesn't exist in the second table. In this case the user needs to search for the right "Order Number" manually and I want him to enter the order number that he finds in Alteryx in order to reunion the data and continue with the workflow. 

two questions:

1. I was trying to solve that with a Text Box Tool. Is that a good idea or is there maybe a smarter way?

2. I'm not so familiar with the Text Box Tool and I didn't find a proper explanation in the community. What does it need to achieve what I'm aming for with the Text Box and Action Tool?

Thanks so much in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You may want to use a second data set as a lookup table to correct the order numbers to their proper values. Otherwise these order numbers will pass through as a missing number every single time the workflow is run. If you maintain another data source and enter the values there then join it in to your data, you can link this data up and then use it in the subsequent join so that it pulls the information properly. 

If you want to have interface via an app you would likely need to leverage multiple apps in a chain which may not be the most efficient approach to your problem. 

FlorianH
7 - Meteor

Hi Brandon,

thanks for your reply! It did it more or less the same way as you described it, but I find that's not a very smouth solution. It involves a Text input tools, join, union and some select tools now. It works, but it's not userfriendly at all. I hoped there would be a nicer solution with Alteryx, but maybe there isn't.

Thanks

Labels