Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Left function for numbers

JP02
7 - Meteor

Hi all, 

silly question, but I have a column of numbers.  I would like to extract the first two numbers from the number string.  e.g 997, result 99.  The column type is numeric.  How do I do this?  Thanks!

JC

6 REPLIES 6
Claje
14 - Magnetar

So the easiest way to do this in one formula is to use TOSTRING and TONUMBER to convert it to a string, get the left characters, and then get the number value back.

Here's an example (replace [yourfield] with your field)

TONUMBER(LEFT(TOSTRING([yourfield]),2))
Jim7
8 - Asteroid

You can use this formula:

TrimLeft(ToString([Field1]),"2")

Bahouth12
7 - Meteor

Another way to extract the first two numbers from the number string is to convert the column type from numerical to a string using select tool and then to add RegEx tool with an expression like this  ^(\d{2}) using parse method. I attached a simple one.    

JP02
7 - Meteor

Thanks Claje!

I was trying a combination of these and obviously did not have the right combination.  I really appreciate this solution!!

VR

JC

JP02
7 - Meteor

Thanks @Jim7 !

I really appreciate the solution.  I will try it out!

VR

JC

JP02
7 - Meteor

Thanks @Bahouth12

I had thought about running the conversion.  This is a great solution and will be trying it out.  Thanks for the example too.

VR

JC

Labels