Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Register for the upcoming Live Community Q&A Session - and don't forget to submit your questions for @DeanS regarding the future role of analytics here.

Left & Right Join Outputs Missing Columns

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Since the release of 2019.3, I've noticed that sometimes the L/R Join outputs are not carrying forward all of the fields from the input files. In previous versions, these outputs would contain the full table for all rows that did not match. Now, only fields that I select in the Join Config tool are being carried forward. This doesn't happen with every Join, and sometimes just running the workflow again fixes it. Other times, even replacing the tool makes no difference.

Has anyone else experienced this? My workaround is to keep all fields in the join and then put a select after each output, which is annoying.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @DataTester 

Does this occur if you have tools after the L and the R or only when you are looking at the L and R anchors? (the browse anywhere functionality)

If you add a browse tool after each, do you still have missing fields?

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

It seems to be random right now. I've been testing it in lots of different scenarios. I first noticed it wasn't going away when I put a sort then browse tool after a R output. But, now I've put a new browse by itself, and the problem is gone in both tool chains. As for just looking at the anchors, it seems to be regularly missing the unchecked fields.

clipboard_image_0.png

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

That's interesting behaviour.

I have had a bit of a play and can't really replicate it myself.

Would you be able to record it or upload an example workflow?

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JoeS,

Unfortunately, I can't record my workflow or upload it. I tried to recreate the issue with dummy data, but I haven't discovered the specific situation that creates the issue. There is one workflow that consistently creates this issue, so I have screen capped the L output result and blocked out the field headers/data. You can see that there are significantly more left input fields that are not appearing in the L output.

I have tried adding a filter and formula tool to different examples to see if they are creating the issue, but it seems to happen randomly no matter which tools are before the join.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

That is odd!

We release a new stable release of 2019.3 last week. I'd recommend upgrading to that and seeing if it still occurs.

I have tried myself again to replicate and am struggling like you and unfortunately can't get the one scenario you have where it does it.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

I've installed the update and I have not experienced the issue in any workflows I have built since the update. However, the older workflow does still have this problem. I may have to rebuild the old workflow in a new .yxmd and see if the issue resolves.

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Rather than rebuilding your workflow from scratch try right clicking on the file (duplicate your file before doing this) -> open with -> choose another app -> notepad

And then change the Alteryx version number in the XML, save your changes and exit. Try opening up the file, it may save you from having to rebuild the workflow. Let us know if it works!

image.png

Regards,

Jonathan

Highlighted

Hey, I just noticed that this issue is back on version 2020.1.5. All fields that I remove from embeded Select in the Join tool are not present on the L or R outputs. I noticed, however, that if I add a Union tool right after the Join, having a field removed, that field will show up again on the L or R output. Really strange behaviour. I attached an example workflow.

Labels