Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Left Function

Lynnise
5 - Atom

Is there a fucntion or formula that I can use that will mimic the the LEFT function in Excel? I am trying to pull the first 5 charactors from a string ?

Thank you in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

LEFT([STRING],5)

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Lynnise
5 - Atom

Thank you so much and "DUH" to myself! I did have brackets intially.

Suzanne
7 - Meteor

Mark, what if you had this:

"Trying to find the first position of o"

In excel, you can search the string and get back that the first "o" is at position 9 (might be 8.  I don't remember if search is 0 based).

I have a situation in Alteryx where I'm trying to find a character "|".  I'd like to do something like  --> right([fieldname],length([FieldName])-search([fieldname],'|'))

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Use FINDSTRING the same way as you would in Excel :) 

Suzanne
7 - Meteor

Hi cmcclellan.  FINDSTRING brought back True/FAlse, not the position of the character in the string.  Unless I'm not using it correctly ... a real possibility -:)

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Suzanne,

I'm sorry but I'd have to go to a library (inside of a museum) to dust off a book on Excel to answer your question.  I'll answer it in the 21st century with a regular expression.  I still don't know what your objective is and why you wouldn't use a text to columns to parse on the | symbol.  But before I go there, here is a cut & paste from the help on FindString():

FindString(String,Target): Searches for the occurrence of a particular string (Target) within another string (String) and returns the numeric position of its occurrence in the string.

Returns the 0 based index of the first occurrence of Target in String. Returns -1 if no occurrence.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Not true/false, you just have to understand what the results are saying ( @MarqueeCrew already explained), but this might help more :

2019-01-17 09_55_40-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow4_.png

It's a zero-based calculation, so you might need to add 1 to the result depending on what you want to do ... 

0 = John found at the start

1 = John found.  First character is counted as 0, second character is 1

7 = John found, calculation as per above

-1 = John not found at all

FINDSTRING IS case-sensitive = JOHN, John and john will give 3 different results

kishore_pvkk
5 - Atom

I am using the below function but I am getting error

Left([GL Account Number], 1)

kishore_pvkk
5 - Atom

Below is the error 

kishore_pvkk_1-1665144053105.png

Labels