Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

LEFT function parse error for both number and text on a cell

ramosjaqueline12
6 - Meteoroid

Hi - I am trying to use the LEFT function to get the first 8 numbers of the below cells. On excel I was using a simple "=Left(A2,8)" formula but it is not working with Alteryx. I tried using the =TrimLeft(ToString([Concur Expense Purpose  Purpose]),"8") formula and it didn't work either.

I would like to have a column were I can have the Concur ID only. Is there a way I can do this? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
ramosjaqueline12
6 - Meteoroid

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @ramosjaqueline12 ,

You can use this:

Left([Concur Expense Purpose Purpose], 😎

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @ramosjaqueline12 

As an addition to @afv2688's solution, the TrimLeft(String,chars) function is used to remove characters from the start of a string.  In your case, it will remove all the "8" characters, so "8888ABCDEFG" would become "ABCDEFG".  

Dan

ramosjaqueline12
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @afv2688 

I tried the solution suggested and I still receive a Parse Error message. See below for screenshots I took.

error.PNG

formula.PNG

amazz24
7 - Meteor

Hi @ramosjaqueline12 -  Remove the '=' from your formula

ramosjaqueline12
6 - Meteoroid

That was way to easy, but I am still learning that this is not Excel. Thanks so much!

amazz24
7 - Meteor

No problem - it definitely takes some time to get used to!

Labels