Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

LEFT function parse error for both number and text on a cell

ramosjaqueline12
6 - Meteoroid

Hi - I am trying to use the LEFT function to get the first 8 numbers of the below cells. On excel I was using a simple "=Left(A2,8)" formula but it is not working with Alteryx. I tried using the =TrimLeft(ToString([Concur Expense Purpose  Purpose]),"8") formula and it didn't work either.

I would like to have a column were I can have the Concur ID only. Is there a way I can do this? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
ramosjaqueline12
6 - Meteoroid

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @ramosjaqueline12 ,

You can use this:

Left([Concur Expense Purpose Purpose], 😎

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @ramosjaqueline12 

As an addition to @afv2688's solution, the TrimLeft(String,chars) function is used to remove characters from the start of a string.  In your case, it will remove all the "8" characters, so "8888ABCDEFG" would become "ABCDEFG".  

Dan

ramosjaqueline12
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @afv2688 

I tried the solution suggested and I still receive a Parse Error message. See below for screenshots I took.

error.PNG

formula.PNG

amazz24
7 - Meteor

Hi @ramosjaqueline12 -  Remove the '=' from your formula

ramosjaqueline12
6 - Meteoroid

That was way to easy, but I am still learning that this is not Excel. Thanks so much!

amazz24
7 - Meteor

No problem - it definitely takes some time to get used to!

Labels