Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

LEFT, RIGHT FUNCTION

DataAnalyst
7 - Meteor

Hello, I have 2 columns with qtrs formatted as Q2/15 and so on.

My calculation for deliquent quarters will look at both these quarter fields. Since i cant subract in this format, I used the LEFT function to extract the year values from both the fields which works fine.

However, when i use the right function to get say the value 2 in Q2/2015, i get all 0s. Is there a regular expression i can use or try something else. I just need number 2 from Q2/2015.  I have tried trim function as well.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Could you please post your desired output and data and perhaps we could offer more hands on help then :)

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Substring([field],1,1)

That will get you '2'

If you want the number 2,

ToNumber(Substring([field],1,1))
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
steffimerlin
5 - Atom

Hi,

I would like to get some more clarity on how the RIGHT and LEFT function works in Alteryx since I don't have the software to try it out myself.

if for example consider the below phrase -

Water and Ice

Could someone please explain to me what would the output be for RIGHT([string],7) and LEFT([string],7) :

Does the RIGHT and LEFT function count spaces and punctuation as well? And is it 0 based? 

Thanks,
Steffi

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

See this documentation page for all functions: https://help.alteryx.com/current/Reference/Functions.htm

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

To specifically answer the question, 

RIght would output "and Ice"

while

Left would output "Water a"

it does count spaces and punctuation, and lastly, directly from the documentation:

"About Length and Strings: When referencing the LENGTH of a string the first character is counted as 1 (the length of the following string "record" is 6). HOWEVER, when referencing the character position within a STRING, positions are actually counted BETWEEN characters. So think of the first character's position as 0.  Therefore, the position of the letter "c" in the string "record" is at position 2."

steffimerlin
5 - Atom

Thank you so much. That really helped! 

TS4
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for mentioning that the count starts at 0.  First time I used substring, and I could not figure out what was going on!

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I will like to retain the right 5 digits from a number. For example , from 0123456789..I will like to keep 56789

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Idyllic_Data_Geek, if it's stored as a numeric field, you'd have to do Right(ToString([FIELD]),5)

Labels