ALTERYX INSPIRE | Join us this May for for a multi-day virtual analytics + data science experience like no other! Register Now

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

LDAP / AD as data source

Aguisande
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago, a customer threw me a challenge to connect directly to LDAP/AD within Alteryx.

After a little research, I came across with this:

https://github.com/tobiasmh/Alteryx-Ldap-Input-Plugin-Binaries

I made a couple of tests, and confirmed that is working very good. 

I believe this could help a lot of people, so I'm linking it in this post.

Kudos to Tobias for the good work.

danielbrun
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi,

That is really cool! More Kudos for Tobias!

Daniel

Cristian
9 - Comet
If you need someting better i would point you to ODBC Nirvana 

Active Directory ODBC Driver

Read, Write, and Update Active Directory through ODBC

Regards,

Cristian.
Andrew_Paterson_BCG
7 - Meteor

Trying ot use this in v11.05 but getting an Invalid Character reference while processing AlteryxModule. Is anybody using this succesfully on the current version of Designer?

autolycus
8 - Asteroid

Same here, Andrew.  I think that something broke with an Alteryx upgade.  Doesn't look like the github has been updated in over a year.

Aguisande
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi guys,

I didn't used this for a while, but since I saw this messages, I made a test, without problems. See the attached screenshot (If you want to try this yourself, the password is password)

The test was made on Alteryx 11.3.2.28974

test_LDAP.PNG

autolycus
8 - Asteroid

Are you running x32 or x64 desktop client?

autolycus
8 - Asteroid

Under further inspection, it looks like the stored encoded password is creating some special characters that seem to violate XML standards...

*EDIT: The encoded password put an '&' in the XML entry for the LDAP tool.  I tried escaping it to no avail.  I replaced it with '&' but now get a logon failure.

Andrew_Paterson_BCG
7 - Meteor

Thanks for investigating, I am using x64 for reference. So it seems like this may be broken as it stands. I ended up using an extract flat-file for my use case, perhaps this is could go onto the ideas page, to be adopted and uplifted.

autolycus
8 - Asteroid

If you need something that will let you actively query AD, check out https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Sources/Ugly-way-to-Query-Active-Directory/m-p/72794.

Labels