Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

[LAST_NAME, FIRST_NAME MIDDLE_INITIAL] into [LAST_NAME, FIRST_NAME] but keep both

matthew_swanson
7 - Meteor

hello, i understand that i could do the name transformation using REGEX, but how do i create the new name format as an extra column instead of replacing the original column?

7 REPLIES 7
Morgan_Thomas
8 - Asteroid

Have you thought about just cloning the original column and then doing the regex on the new column? Attached an example of what I was thinking

mpennington
11 - Bolide

I would recommend using a formula tool.

First Last.jpg

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mpennington 
Thank you for showing the sample of placeholders of RegEx.
just one question is $2 necessary in this case? 😁

mpennington
11 - Bolide

@Qiu Good catch, sir.  It is not, I think I had thought to separate the first name and then forgot and left it in.  It isn't the most flexible bit of RegEx, it only works for the most basic of cases.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are going to be issues with Jr, Sr., III, etc.  I suppose the principle works, but the devil is in the details. 😁

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mpennington 
Thank you for the detailed information.

Learned somethingn new from you. 😁

matthew_swanson
7 - Meteor

@Morgan_Thomas Thank you for the example! i wasn't aware that the formula tool could be used to generate a new column, that is exactly what i needed to know!

matthew_swanson
7 - Meteor

@mpennington Thank you! I was going to use the regex tool, but using the same formula tool that created the column is a great idea.

I used this regex string to remove the middle initial. You're right that this set of names contains first and last names with spaces in them

MatthewSwanson_0-1618406280530.png

MatthewSwanson_0-1618406975025.png

Labels