Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

KeyError in Python Alteryx.write() tool after version updating

abcunha
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone.

My company have recently updated our Alteryx Design version from 2019.2 to 2021.1, and since then I am having some trouble with the Alteryx.write() function inside the Python tool. I have two tables that were pivoted inside the script with more than one index and some columns. After reseting the indices, I try to use the above mentioned write function, which gives me the following error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
KeyError                                  Traceback (most recent call last)
c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\indexes\base.py in get_loc(self, key, method, tolerance)
   2888             try:
-> 2889                 return self._engine.get_loc(casted_key)
   2890             except KeyError as err:

pandas\_libs\index.pyx in pandas._libs.index.IndexEngine.get_loc()

pandas\_libs\index.pyx in pandas._libs.index.IndexEngine.get_loc()

pandas\_libs\hashtable_class_helper.pxi in pandas._libs.hashtable.PyObjectHashTable.get_item()

pandas\_libs\hashtable_class_helper.pxi in pandas._libs.hashtable.PyObjectHashTable.get_item()

KeyError: 0

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

KeyError                                  Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-45-fc7f657f3e2e> in <module>
----> 1 Alteryx.write(teste, 2)

c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\site-packages\ayx\export.py in write(pandas_df, outgoing_connection_number, columns, debug, **kwargs)
     85     When running the workflow in Alteryx, this function will convert a pandas data frame to an Alteryx data stream and pass it out through one of the tool's five output anchors. When called from the Jupyter notebook interactively, it will display a preview of the pandas dataframe. An optional 'columns' argument allows column metadata to specify the field type, length, and name of columns in the output data stream.
     86     """
---> 87     return __CachedData__(debug=debug).write(     88         pandas_df, outgoing_connection_number, columns=columns, **kwargs
     89     )

c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\site-packages\ayx\CachedData.py in write(self, pandas_df, outgoing_connection_number, columns, output_filepath)
    427         for index, colname in enumerate(pandas_df.columns):
--> 428             coltype = str(pandas_df.dtypes[index])
    429             # does the column contain bytearrays? then its probably a blob
    430             # (check only first non-null value in column -- tradeoff for efficiency)

c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\series.py in __getitem__(self, key)
    881         elif key_is_scalar:
--> 882             return self._get_value(key)
    884         if (

c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\series.py in _get_value(self, label, takeable)
    990         # Similar to Index.get_value, but we do not fall back to positional
--> 991         loc = self.index.get_loc(label)
    992         return self.index._get_values_for_loc(self, loc, label)

c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\indexes\base.py in get_loc(self, key, method, tolerance)
   2889                 return self._engine.get_loc(casted_key)
   2890             except KeyError as err:
-> 2891                 raise KeyError(key) from err
   2893         if tolerance is not None:

KeyError: 0

For the first table, I've used a dummy strategy: reassining the columns to the original table by

dataframe.columns = dataframe.columns.tolist(),

which worked pretty well. However, for the second table the error persists. I've tried running them on our old Gallery (from the 2019 version) and they worked fine.

I've googled a lot to try to find a proper solution to this error. Am I missing something important here? Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Notes: 1) The error is the same for each function; 2) I am able to plot the dataframes inside the Jupyter Notebook normally; 3) Other tables inside the Alteryx workflow are running OK.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
doniervask
5 - Atom

This annoying error means that Pandas can not find your column name in your dataframe. Before doing anything with the data frame, use print(df.columns) to see dataframe column exist or not.

print(df.columns)

I was getting a similar kind of error in one of my codes. Turns out, that particular index was missing from my data frame as I had dropped the empty dataframe 2 rows. If this is the case, you can do df.reset_index(inplace=True) and the error should be resolved.

Labels