Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Keep Leading Whitespace in Table Tool Output

chester50
6 - Meteoroid

Hello! 

I would like to know if it is possible to run data with leading whitespaces through a table tool while keeping those whitespaces in the ultimate Excel output? 

I have attached an example file below of a portion of the data I am working with. This data is from a report that is automatically generated with the leading whitespaces used for presentational purposes. Is it possible for me to run this through a table tool and preserve the spacing in the final output? If so, how should I approach this? 

When I attempt this, it seems to automatically remove the leading whitespaces (see workflow attached). Ultimately for this example, I would like to begin with the input file attached, run it through a table tool, and be able to output an excel file with the exact same spacing format.

Thanks in advance! 

6 REPLIES 6
Inactive User
Not applicable

Try using Alt255 ASCII character and replace that with the white space. This should not truncate in the table.

Also have a look at this article may be helpful:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/HTML-Pass-through/m-p/56429#M10467

chester50
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for getting back. Could you clarify what you mean by replacing the white space with Alt255 ASCII characters? Do you mean setting up a Find Replace tool and then using those characters to replace all spaces in the field? 

I work as an accountant and am very new to data preparation and analysis, so any additional clarification/step-by-step instructions would be very helpful. 

Thanks again! 

Inactive User
Not applicable

It is basically an invisible special character that will create space but will be recognized as a character and not leading/trailing white space. You can use others as well if needed.

chester50
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks! It worked when using an Alt 255 space. I appreciate the help! 

KarthikKumarV
7 - Meteor

How did you do this ?

My concatenated sting in Alteryx leaves white-space at the end, i would need that to be included when output on Excel.

Could you share screenshot or formula.

Erin
9 - Comet

@KarthikKumarV 

I googled how to insert ASCII characters, and found this: 

To insert an ASCII character, press and hold down ALT while typing the character code. For example, to insert the degree (º) symbol, press and hold down ALT while typing 0176 on the numeric keypad.

You must use the numeric keypad to type the numbers, and not the keyboard. Make sure that the NUM LOCK key is on if your keyboard requires it to type numbers on the numeric keypad.

I tried it in Alteryx and it worked! 

Labels