Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

KML output

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I'm working on an app so any excel document with a lat/lon can be made into a KML document.  The one request was to always have the first column be the name of the location.  Now the name of the first column may change and I want to find a way to always use that first column whatever it's named.  How can I do that  when Name Field is looking for a specific name?  Tried a few things that didn't work.  Anyone?

KMLApp.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can use a dynamic rename to force the names of the columns to always be the same

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

column names.png

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Thanks!  But what if I don't want to change all of the header names?  Can I select out and change the first column header name to 'ID' and leave the rest as they were?  Was trying to do this but didn't have much luck. 

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes, I figured out the minor flaw in my statement just after posting it!

I'm now thinking using the field info tool, a sample tool (select 1st row) and an action tool to update the field name in your Output Data tool. Let me mock something up.

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Sure! I've used the Field Info tool and select tools but tried using dynamic rename after unioning them together.  Didn't work.  I did create a macro that I thought I could use with a interface tool but I couldn't output from the macro to the action tool.  Really interested to see what you come up with!   Thanks!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Something like this? If the name of the PROPID changes then you will have to change your filter tool as well.

input field name.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @brad_j_crep

@DavidP has an excellent solution, but here's one that's a little simpler

Use Dynamic select to rename only the first column and then join all columns back on record position

1st column rename.png

Dan

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Thank you David and Dan!  I have my solutions and things are looking good!  Appreciate the help from both of you!

Labels