Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

K-Centroids Diagnostics Error: object 'std.param2' not found

JBR
5 - Atom

I've used k-centroids diagnostics many times in the past and I've never encountered this error. I was using a 2018 version when I got the error, so I said what the heck, I'll try the 2019 version. Same issue.

I'm attaching two snipped images: one of the error I receive; and one of my configuration.

I've also Googled the error, but I can't even find anything about the object in question (std.param2) in the R-related documents.

I'm not doing anything I haven't done before with this tool. I'm completely baffled as to what's the problem. Any ideas about what this error is referring to would be much appreciated. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
AndrewKramer
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi,

I was able to replicate this on my side. Inspecting the K-Centroids Diagnostic Macro, the following code handles the standardization.

# Handle a requested standardization
if (standardize == "True") {
  z.score <- '%Question.z score%'
  if (z.score == "True") {
    std.type <- "z-score"
    std.param1 <- apply(the.matrix, 2, mean)
    std.param2 <- apply(the.matrix, 2, sd)
    the.matrix <- scale(the.matrix)
	matrix.str <- paste("scale(", matrix.str, ")", sep = "")
  } else {
    std.type <- "Unit interval"
    std.param1 <- apply(the.matrix, 2, min)
    std.param2 <- apply(the.matrix, 2, max) - std.param2
    the.matrix <- unitScale(the.matrix)
	matrix.str <- paste("unitScale(", matrix.str, ")", sep = "")
  }
}

When using unit standardization, the error lies with the following line of code. std.param2 is just being defined, so we cannot subtract by it as it does not exist

std.param2 <- apply(the.matrix, 2, max) - std.param2

This line of code should be as follows. This would calculate the range, which is necessary for unit standardization.

std.param2 <- apply(the.matrix, 2, max) - std.param1

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will cascade internally. In the meantime, I would recommend you use the Z Score standardization, as that runs without error.

JBR
5 - Atom

Thank you for the quick response. I kicked myself when reading it b/c I didn't play with the input parameters... but the reason I didn't do so was b/c (in the k-centroids cluster analysis) the unit interval nearly always yields a lower sum of within cluster distances than the z-score, controlling for algorithm (e.g., k-means) and number of clusters in the solution -- thus I usually just use unit interval.

Thanks again.

Joe

AndrewKramer
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I spoke with our development team, and this issue has been resolved. The fix is currently in QA, and should be included in the next release, 2019.2.

Thanks,

Andrew

Labels