Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Junction Box for connections between features

Felix776
8 - Asteroid

Dear all,

Just wondering does Alteryx has something like a junction box, that connect all the connections of a workflow into one? I often have some "dirty" raw data, and I have the cleanse / filter / formula it before using them as inputs for 5 /6 more separated calculations.

A junction box would be great if I decided to add additional feature between my raw data and the calculations, without reconnecting 20 connecting lines.

Felix

3 REPLIES 3
VianneyM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Felix776,

I am not aware of anything like that.

But have you tried macros? the idea of a macro is that you define a process that can be encapsulated on one tool and this can be reused within another workflow. 

so let's say that you define a process (data cleansing) encapsulate all that process within one tool creating a macro and use that one tool between your raw data and calculations. 

Have a look into the data cleansing tool, that is a perfect example of a macro.

one tool that can be used on another workflow as many times as you need it.

VianneyM_0-1584355065777.png

Inside you define the process 

VianneyM_1-1584355133071.png

Let me know if this helps you

Best,

Vianney

Best,
Vianney
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Felix776 

You can use any tool as a junction box, but you need a Master Electrician's license to install it;)  

Actually,  if you right click on the tool that has all the connections are coming out of, you can insert a Select after it.  There will be a single connection between the first tool and the Select with all the connection now coming out of the Select  You can now add all the tools you want into this single connection  and the Select will route the data to all the following tools

Insert after.png

Like I mentioned above, your can use this method to insert any tool, but the Select tool, in it's default config, is the only one that has no effect on the data passing through it.

Dan

Felix776
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the solution, i am still quite a novice to be using Macro in alteryx. I don't even know where to start! 

Thank you though

Labels