Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Journal Entry - Moving Numbers between Debit and Credit

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I hope all is well. 

I'm currently in the process of moving a number that is in the debit column to the credit column so that I can then add the correct totals for debit and credit. 

To move the debit to credit, I created the following formula which didn't work. Not sure what I did incorrectly.

IF [G/L Categories] = "60200 Salaries & Benefit : Employee Benefits" THEN [Sum_Value] = [Credit] ELSE "" ENDIF

Then I tried to add the debit/credit column by using the Multi-Row Formula tool but I couldn't figure out how to add the entire column and provide me with a total amount on the bottom of the column. 

Please help. Also, if there are any formula how-to videos, please share.

I don't know what I'm doing..PNG

JE Help.PNG

  

Capture this..PNG

12 REPLIES 12

Hi @jalizmaldonado 

If I get this correctly, you need the credit column to show the sum_value if the [G/L Categories] = "60200 Salaries & Benefit : Employee Benefits". Correct?

If yes, you will need the formula of the credit column to say:

If [G/L Categories] = "60200 Salaries & Benefit : Employee Benefits" then [Sum_Value] else 0 endif

Let me know. Cheers!

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@jalizmaldonado,

Please see below how you can do it:

messi007_0-1613750835900.png

Attached the workflow,

Hope this helps!

Regards,

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi Christine, I hope all is well. I receive an error when adding your proposed formula. 😥 

Error.PNG

@christine_assaad 

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi @messi007, I hope all is well.

I added your formulas and changes the data type from Double to BYTE but then the debit and credit column turned to all zeros.  

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@jalizmaldonado,

Try to use tonumber()

If [G/L Categories] = "60200 Salaries & Benefit : Employee Benefits" then tonumber([Sum_Value]) else 0 endif

Regards

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@jalizmaldonado,

Don't change the type to Byte keep them as double and it will work 🙂

Regards,

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi @messi007,  

I received the following error: 

Error: Formula (117): The formula "Credit" resulted in a string but the field is numeric. Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct. (Expression #1)

Error error.PNG

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@jalizmaldonado,

Please use this:

if [G/L Categories] = "60200 Salaries & Benefit : Employee Benefits" then tonumber([Debit]) else 0 endif

Regards,

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

@messi007 

I tried, if [G/L Categories] = "60200 Salaries & Benefit : Employee Benefits" then tonumber([Debit]) else 0 endif, but it didn't work so then I went back to your previous recommendation and it's still not working. 

I'm so sorry I'm so lost.

Labels