Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Joins

Lalithakpra
5 - Atom

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to Alteryx. I am trying to create a workflow like in the attachement, Tableau Joins.PNG. 

Could anyone please help. 

The first main table is the union of 5 files.

I did as in the below screenshot, Alteryx workflow.PNG but i didn't understood which one i can link to Tableau. Do I have to link Union or Join(which join), really confused.

I finally have to publish this to Tableau Server.

6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Lalithakpra ,

Can you please post some mock data showing what you're trying to do so we can help?

M.

Bulien

mdsalmankhan89
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Lalithakpra , 

How many extracts are you looking to publish to tableau server?

Regards,

Salman

Lalithakpra
5 - Atom

All I want is data from all the tables(because i need few columns from each table) but left outer on Cost Table(union of all 5 files) .

The Tableau Joins.PNG is how i do it in Tableau(I do so simple in Tableau) but the problem i have in Tableau was i cannot union all those 5 different excels which is the reason i am using Alteryx. 

First i have to Union Cost Files and then join with Employee table so on as in my first screenshot.. 

dougperez
12 - Quasar

Hello @Lalithakpra , have you looked at the link: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Left-Right-and-Full-Outer-Joins-are...

To do a Left Join in alteryx, you must union "L" output with "J" output in Join tool

dougperez_0-1624579907405.png

This is explained in the link.

If this helps, mark as solution, it helps me too!

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Lalithakpra 

perhaps it is terminology confusion. Trying to “dump it down” the difference between Join vs Union:
join = vlookup in excel (new columns)

union = stacking the rows on top of each others (New rows)

I highly recommend that you see the interactive lessons on Union and Tool (academy > interactive lessons > click on the “for excel users” tile). About 2-3 minute each and then you will know the settings to do all the join/union configuration you need!

from your descriptions, it sound like you need a Join to pick up different fields from different sources.

alteryx works from left to right (or top to bottom if you are Team Vertical). So the one you should connect to tableau is the output anchor of the last Join tool after you have joined all the tables you need.

Dawn 

Labels