community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Joining two datasets

Atom

Hello, I am very new to Alteryx and my search has not helped me to figure out a solution for me. I have two datasets only 1 column is unique in the two datasets. Dataset 1 has 8 columns of 300,000 records, dataset 2 has 25 columns of 30,000 records. I need my output to be 32 columns of 30,000 records. I am sure it is super simple but this is my first experience with Alteryx and my training is not until next week. Thanks in advance!

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @dataxfer 

Use a Join Tool linking by your unique column.

The J output will return your 30,000 records if they all have unique matches in your bigger dataset.

Cheers,

Hi @dataxfer 

Use a Join Tool linking by your unique column.

Cheers,

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Hello @dataxfer ,

You just need to use the join tool. Select then after in the upper window the columns that are going to be joined.

After, on the lower section of the join configuration, deselect one of the unique join variables, avoiding that way to be repeated.

You can also select the variables and use the arrows to configurate the output display.

PD: Welcome to the community!

Cheers

Atom

Thanks for all of your help! I was getting an error and thinking I did something wrong, I needed to add a select tool to change the common variable to a string variable. I am super excited about my training next week, can't wait to learn more!

@dataxfer 

Glad to help. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Labels