Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining databases

jonathangonzales
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I just signed up for alteryx and I have a couple questions on my first workflow.

I am joining 2 databeses and I need to add a column to identify each database.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
jack_morgan
9 - Comet

Hey Jonathan,

Use a formula tool immediately after each of your inputs from you DBs to add that column. I usually do this and create a column named SOURCE that way as I blend and create things, i know where it came from. In the formula tool, your expression would be literal: "Database Name 1" or whatever you want to name it.

Hope that helps!

Jack

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Use a formula tool to create a new field after each input with a database name field. Have attached a simple demo of this with a Union and a Join tool.

If you are reading from flat files you can make the input tool add the filename as field.

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

You can also use the "Output File Name as Field" option in the Input Data tool -- that way you can get either the file name or the full path.

Have fun with the File function set in the Formula tool to parse the file name/path!

Good luck.

Labels