Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining Data

kadenemcintosh
7 - Meteor

I used to formula tool to calculate a number, then I use the text input tool to input 2 lines of data. I need the number calculated from the formula tool to populate in the 2 line of data I created. The first line is the exact amount from the formula tool and the second line is positive of the exact number.

I tried using the join tool it only created the heading only -  no data was populated(blank). Used Join by Specific Fields. 

Ex. 

Formula tool - Total amount 3362009.462

kadenemcintosh_2-1574347790181.png

Text Tool - Inputted info - I renamed the amount field as Total amount using the select tool.

kadenemcintosh_1-1574347549519.png

I want the total amount to populate in a total amount field - One line 3362009.462 and the other line -3362009.462

9 REPLIES 9
DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @kadenemcintosh 

A Join is reliant on field position or a common linking field, try using an Append Fields tool to match the data sets instead, with your table of one row feeding into the 'S' input anchor.

See the attached example to demonstrate the difference.

Thanks

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @kadenemcintosh,

I believe this is what you're trying to achieve, i've used a multi row formula to change the second row to positive while leaving the first as negative.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

kadenemcintosh
7 - Meteor

Work perfectly. Thanks

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Here you are @kadenemcintosh, can you post a screenshot of your error message or attach the workbook?

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

kadenemcintosh
7 - Meteor

tb.PNG

I want to use the join tool to join the solution above and this data.

The result I am getting is blank.- I selected join by specific fields

results1.PNG 

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Can you attach the workflow and files for me to take a look?

cking6178
8 - Asteroid

Try running a data cleanse tool before the join...your screenshot shows that there's some sort of issue with the data (the red line across the top) - likely leading or trailing spaces...the data cleanse tool will solve this, which should allow your join to work properly.

kadenemcintosh
7 - Meteor

Please see attached. I

cking6178
8 - Asteroid

Can't run that workflow...your data file is linked to a shared drive

Labels