Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining Data in 2 worksheets with same column names

AashimaS
5 - Atom
I have 2 excel worksheets as inputs I am trying to join on same key element. These two have exactly same number of rows and same column headers. I need to compare the values of each column for both data inputs. For this I need the same columns to be placed next to each other. for example, the 2 sheets have columns as field1, field2, field3.. field 100. and workbook 2 has same fields field1, field2, field3.. field 100. i need my output to have columns as field1, field1_right, field2, field2_right, field3, field3_right... and so on.
3 REPLIES 3
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AashimaS 

Sounds like you'd just want to use a Join tool and select to join by record position, but could also join by common ID. You can then rearrange the field order down below.

clipboard_image_0.png

AashimaS
5 - Atom
on a common id. there are 115 columns. by default the join output, gives in 115 records from the first excel and appending the columns from the second excel as right_column nam. so the output has 230 columns, which is correct. But I need the positioning of columns to be next to each for each same column name. col1,right_col2, col2, right_col 2.. etc.
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AashimaS 

There's a couple ways you could do it.  Most basically you can select a field in the join tool and use the up/down arrows to rearrange, but that's a lot of fields to work with.

There's a Sort Fields that has been created which you can download and plug in and sorts fields into alphabetical order - which would get your fields next to each other, but the overall order may change:  http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/09/blog-macro-pack-2014-q3-release.html

Can reference this post as well: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-do-I-automatically-Order-Columns/t...

Labels