Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join tool

prpatel
11 - Bolide

Hi All:

Using the join tool, I noticed that the options for the ouputs are either L J R where:

• L = Data from the left table that did not join with the right table
  • J = Data where both tables joined
  • R = Data from right table that did not join with the left table

I there any tool or option that can get me either LJ or RJ....that is to say the whole of the left table + data from the right table that joined (LJ) ...or...th whole of the right table + data from the left table that joined (RJ).

Thanks.

-Tesh.

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

You can use the 'Join Multiple' tool for that - it acts the same as a join but brings the outputs together, giving nulls if they aren't in one of sources (as seen below), resulting in an outer join. Example workflow attached.

DataNath_2-1652621015067.png

The other option is to literally just union the unmatched records back on to the matched results (R+J outputs for a right outer, L+J outputs for a left outer etc):

DataNath_1-1652621005014.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@prpatel to connect the R+J you need to union the R-output and the J-output from the join tool same for the  L+J output

binuacs_0-1652622827222.png

prpatel
11 - Bolide

@DataNath Thank you.  The 2nd solution worked for me.

prpatel
11 - Bolide

@binuacs 

I tried it out and the solution that both you and @DataNath provided works.

Thank yo both for your time.

-Tesh.

Labels