Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join tool works when run as a Workflow, but not as an Analytic app

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I'm seeing something strange.  I've built a workflow that runs fine as a workflow, has a few Joins in it.  However, I'm really designing this as an App because I'm using Interface tools to collect data. 

So if I just create a simple csv file and run the workflow, everything runs fine.  But when I run it as an Analytic App and key in the inputs, I get this error about only able to join string fields to string fields.  I've isolated the issue down to 1 field that's causing the issue, and even that field I can confirm the Left and Right inputs have that field exactly the same data type and length (String and 20).  

Capture.PNG

Can anybody explain why I'm seeing this issue?  Let me know if I need to provide any more detail.  

Thanks,

-Adam

5 REPLIES 5
morr-co
10 - Fireball

Hi @Adam_Dooley : it sounds like the workflow is treating the dynamic data differently. I'd recommend inserting a select tool prior to the join tool (on both the L and R data inputs) and force the field data types to be strings. This should resolve the issue.

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

Thanks you @morr-co for the response.  Unfortunately that didn't work though.  

Even when I re-create it in a new workflow, it still gives the same error.  Below are the Select tools' metadata going into the L and R anchors.  For some reason it only has a problem with the field "Shift", and those are the same types and size.  Any other thoughts?

Left anchor:

Capture.PNG

Right anchor:

Capture2.PNG

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Do you set the type as "String: Forced"?

If you set it as a String, it will still be changed when the workflow runs that have the data as numeric.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1604459784413.png

morr-co
10 - Fireball

Did you select the "String: Forced" option?

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 6.46.46 AM.png

This should work. However, another option is to change the name of Shift, then use a formula tool to copy the value into a new field. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 6.48.22 AM.png

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

Looks like that String:Forced option did the trick!  Weird I've never seen that before.

Thank you all for the responses!

Labels