Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Join on non-exact matches

tycarbone
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am trying to do a join where the fields won't necessarily match. Here is a simplified version of what I am trying to accomplish:

File 1:

GroupNameScript Count
Atrium Centers, Inc14

File 2:

GroupnameTotal Script Count
Atrium Centers Inc87

Combined:

GroupNameScript CountTotal Script Count
Atrium Centers Inc1487

I tried using Fuzzy Tool and I wasn't getting the results I was looking for. I kept getting a lot of duplicates that looked like this:

GroupNameScript CountTotal Script Count
Atrium Centers Inc1487
Atrium Centers Inc1487
Atrium Centers Inc1487

Any advice would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
dougperez
12 - Quasar

Have you tried the find replace?

NicholasM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @tycarbone

A couple things I want to point out. The fuzzy match tool, when using the Merge match style, will attempt to match ever record from 1 data set to every record of the other. This will lead to something like Atrium Centers Inc from file A to be matched to Atrium Centers, Inc from File B, and vise versa (File B matching to File A). It is best practice to follow up the Fuzzy Match tool with a Unique Tool, to remove duplicates. 

If you want some more assistance with the fuzzy match tool take a look at this live training led by one of my colleges Nick Smith.  

I will also point out that it is best practice to proceed the fuzzy match tool with a Data Cleansing to standardize case and remove any unwanted characters. Sometimes this resolve all differences between two files and you could simply use a Join. 

Let me know if you have Questions.

Labels