community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Join on Multiple Columns Dynamically

I am trying to join two files to bring in certain data to match up with my data set.  My issue is my criteria are not static.  I have a sample map attached. 

The issue:

My map has 20+ criteria but not all will be used every time for the join.  For example to get to a join for a specific piece of data I may only need 5 out of the 20 criteria fields to make the join and other times I may need more.  The map has the necessary combination of criteria to get to the answer but I do not know how to dynamically choose the criteria.

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello,

how do you choose the column to use for the join ? What is your criteria ? If I understand all culumns are always in the files, is it correct ? what's happen if you join a column ususally not needed in the join ?

Hello,

Well that is my issue.  The sample spreadsheet is the map I am trying to use in the join (columns B-G are the join columns plus many more in the live matrix).  Choosing the columns is the issue.  I will be feeding lines of data (left side) that may need to use column B, C, and G where the next line may need column B, G, and E for example.  I am trying to see how join on columns necessary for one line of data while joining on a different set of data for the next line I data.  The map will have the columns I am looking to join on.  

Alteryx
Alteryx

Could you please provide 2 sample lines with 2 different cases from le lest side ?

The left side tab has the two lines.  The green highlighted columns are the join columns.  On the right side tab the green highlighted rows are the rows I want joined to the left side based on column B, C, and D.  Row 3 uses column B and D to join while Row 4 uses column B and C to join.

Alteryx
Alteryx

I understand now, I don't see at this point any easy solution (but I ban be missing something), so I have created a solution but you will explicitely create all possible join and do a union on your data. Attached a sample.

Capture.JPG

Thanks

This would work if I had only a few categories.  I have 30+ columns so there are a lot of combinations.

Labels