Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Join on 2 different columns

faiqz
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a problem where I have to join 2 different datasets on 2 columns. 

1. First dataset have structure:

name

id

2. second dataset's structure:

namenew_idold_id

I want to join on

name=name 

and id=new_id

or

name=name

and id=old_id

please comment below if you have any solutions

5 REPLIES 5
ncrlelia
11 - Bolide

Hi @faiqz,

You can perform JOIN twice. First JOIN based on name=name and id=new_id, then JOIN those records which are not matched to the 2nd dataset again based on name=name and id=old_id.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Lelia

faiqz
8 - Asteroid

hi @ncrlelia 

oh I see. Is that the only solution for now?

Zie86
6 - Meteoroid

I think that is the correct process if need to do JOIN in Alteryx. As long as you have defined the filed name to use on the JOIN fields.

ncrlelia
11 - Bolide

Hi @faiqz,

The alternative is JOIN on name=name. Then use a filter to keep only those records whose id = new_id OR id=old_id.

This method will not be ideal if you datasets get too large and have multiple of the same names, as the JOIN will create a larger than needed dataset (before filtering) with redundant rows, which in turn affects the performance of the workflow.

Cheers,

Lelia

Zie86
6 - Meteoroid

If you just want the filter with the same ID, should use ID = old_id, then select only Name to show as fields when selecting the Input under Join options and add Browse to see the result.

I have provided some examples based on your input.

Capture1.PNG

Labels