Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join fuzzy matching results

Simon2902
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

I have a list of companies mapped by industry subsector. Then I have another reference table mapping subsectors to sectors.

I want to append the sectors as a column to my main main company list table. As the subsector names in both tables vary slightly (space before / etc.) I am using fuzzy match.

The matching process delivers expected results but I am having trouble appending the sector column to my main table as. Currently I use two join tools plus a unique tool as the two joins create a variety of duplicate rows. I have looked at other forum solutions but couldn't make it work. I feel there must be a better/more accurate/elegant way of doing this.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Simon2902 ,

Could it be possible to get some data to check it?

Regards

Simon2902
6 - Meteoroid

main data and reference table attached

VianneyM
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @Simon2902,

Attached you can find my proposal to join both data sets and have the sector as a new column

What I noticed is that you needed to clean the keys. I applied the data cleansing tool to do that, as well as the formula tool to unify things like

Petrochemicals- Base

Petrochemicals -Base

Petrochemicals-Base

To be: Petrochemicals - Base

The same happened with the "/"

It is still not perfect, you need to clean 13 keys, but these ones have "different" names

For example:

Building Suppliers (Trade) vs Building Suppliers (Trade)/Diy

or 

Security & Safety Systems  vs  Security & Safety

These differences can be cached with the fuzzy match tool

I hope this helps 

VianneyM_0-1579298015463.png

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Best,

Vianney

Best,
Vianney
Simon2902
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @VianneyM 

that solution helps to remove duplicates. I added in a fuzzy matching step similar to my original workflow which, together, works out well. I will accept your solution, workflow attached.

Labels